Click on Images to Enlarge!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fat little pine update.

Here is a tree I posted last April, a nice little fat Ponderosa Pine. http://jasonsbonsai.blogspot.com/2008/04/fat-little-ponderosa-pine.html
Today I brought it in and removed most of the wire because it was starting to bite in. I left the wire on the lower branches since it was still good. I also thought now would be a good time to start working it into a different pot. I have a really nice pot that I had in mind for it but it turned out to be too small for now. So I went with this pot from China I had laying around. The root growth is phenominal!! It was root bound in the old pot only after 2 years in that pot and 3 years out of the ground!
Before
Repotting.... Yeah, that pot is a bit too small.....
Finished for now... Back
Front
Soon I will needle prune and rewire the top 2/3 of the tree. I didn't cut any roots in getting it into this pot. In 2 years I will do a root layer (think underground airlayer) so that I can get the tree a bit more centered in a pot. I will update as I needle prune and repositon branches.

1 comment:

christian said...

Jason -

Super impressed with what all the Oregonians have been doing over the last few years.

The pine is making great progress. I'm looking to make a move back west this summer for grad school, and I hope to get some ponderosas from Wyoming a year from now. Your trees are a constant reminder of what I left, and they keep making me anxious for the move and some good ole rocky mountain collecting (left from Utah to Virginia). Great work, and thanks for sharing.

christian