Click on Images to Enlarge!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CorkBark Elm

Here is a corkbark elm that I got from Brent Walston at http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/
I got it 2 years ago, I can't find my pictures of it from then, but it was in a big nursery can, very root bound and had to be around 4 feet tall. Instantly I removed some of the tall branches and did some root work. The following year I got it into an Anderson flat. I really worked the roots pretty good to make them as shallow as possible. I also removed all big branches and let it go.
Here she is as of a few days ago
Mid way through...


Pictures of the tree after thinning, branch selection and some wire. This is a killer little elm.
New front (old back)

Back (old front)

The lighting really shows the corky bark.

Today I decided that I would put this tree in a pot. I pulled it out of the flat that I planted it in last year. For the soil last year I used a mix of lava and pumice in about a 50/50 ratio. The fine feeder roots were unreal. I was very happy when I tore into it!!! Excellent root growth! For scale, those pruners are the x-large Felco #13....about 12" across.

With future pot.
In a pot......I will keep my eye out for a nicer pot for the next re-pot. For now this will work fine, and I think once in leaf in the next few weeks it will look pretty good.

Back



No comments: